Sunday 30 November 2008

What is a Novel?

Sorry, I was going to wait until tomorrow to post in here again, but this just popped into my head and dang nab it, I just had to share it.

It was a memory. I think I was about 19 or 20. I do know it was before I got married, but I don't remember if it was before I joined the Air Force or after. Either case, whatever my age had been doesn't really matter too much. What does is the content.

I remember it was my mother and I...this is my birth mother by the way...the more I write in this I'm sure I'll be mentioning almost every parent that is a part of my life so fair warning, there are a lot. I'll try to make sure I mention which I'm referring to.

Anyway, I was in my mothers kitchen, I had been writing for quite some time and I was working on the masterpiece of all masterpieces...at least mine. It's my version of Lord of the Rings or the Gunslingers. Pick your author, it's my equivalent. Mom and I were talking, as we're prone to do when she cooks and I watch and for no particular reason that I remember right this moment, I decided I had to ask her something.

My question was simple: What did she think about me wanting to get a novel published?

I'd like to think we all ask our parents this type of question at least once. It's the opinion seeking question in the hopes that we'll hear something along the lines of them being proud of us, or that it's a worthy endeavor. It's basically the question where we hope we know the answer that is going to be given, but we're not quite sure that's the answer we're going to get.

My mom stopped what she was doing and did this thing that she normally does. She kind of looks off into space as if she's seeing a television prompt or something, even though I know there isn't one there. Then she said something to me that has stayed with me ever since. She said very simply:

"I think writing is fine, but if you're going to write a novel, it should be about a novel idea. I don't know, but I always have felt that if you're going to call something a 'novel', then the subject should be just that, a novelty, something unexpected...something never done. It should be unique."

That may not be a direct quote, but it's fairly close. It stuck with me so well that I like to share it with as many people that wonder what it is about being a writer. Where is the allure? What's the drive? I don't know about other writers or novelists, but for me the answer is simple. I write in the hope of finding that 'novel' idea. I measure all my ideas, all my brainstorming by that measuring stick. If it's been done, no matter what type of twist I put to it, it's still not unique in my opinion. I want a story that can be told in such a way that it stays with you, that it follows you around even after you put down the book.

This is my goal, my wish, my ultimate desire.....my Golden Chalice. Sure I can go on and on about the thrill of it, how it's in my blood and how if I don't do it I go nuts. I can even dispense knowledge that I've gleaned from the books and interviews I've read over the years about being a writer, but ultimately I have only thing to tell everyone with aspirations about anything. I don't care if it's about being a writer, a Doctor, a Graphic Designer...even a historian.

Find your Chalice, find that cup which will always satisfy and never empty. Once you find it and start directing your compass toward that Northern Star, the possibility of straying is down to 50%. Then, as you follow that heading toward your star, concentrating on making your life a novelty, something that you can personally admire, look back on and say with a smile "I didn't just achieve satisfaction, or success, I achieved true happiness and I am complete."

I'm not saying I've attained that...NOT by far have I attained anything close to that....yet, despite not reaching it yet, I know that I'm on the right path. I am moving toward the best future for myself. Sure, I have detours. I am going to school for art instead of the written word after all. Yet, even though I am going back for my Bachelors, I still know that the end of my road isn't going to have web design listed into my perfect career slot equaling complete happiness. It's going to be in plain bold print: WRITER, NOVELIST.

It's late now for me, well past midnight once again. I suppose I should try to write in my blog during a reasonable time, but I'll be honest, I like writing this when the house is quiet, all the family is asleep. It lets me focus, express myself completely, to share what I think should be shared.

No comments: