Friday 24 July 2009

Ah HA! I'm not alone!

Periodically, I re-read books that I already know. I do it for several reasons. The first is because, well, it's a good read. The second is because it sometimes helps get me in the mood to write. The third is because they ask me to. It's like this subconscious desire to just reach out and take the book. Only a few authors do this for me though. David Eddings, who recently passed away, Anne McCaffrey, though I mostly just re-read the Harper Trilogy. Last, but never least, is Laurell K. Hamilton. I would have to say she is one of my favorites. The reasons are numerous.

First off all, she writes really well. The second is that her books are all done in first person from the perceptions of the character in question. I've read very few authors that pull this off really well and she's one of them. Another is that both of the series that I'm a major fan of has a very strong female character. This speaks to the feminist in me. I get so tired of women being depicted as someone needing saving, needing a strong male to do the dirty work. In the Anita Blake series, Anita Blake is the one they call to do the dirty work. She's a Vampire Executioner and Hunter. Her nickname with the Vampires is The Executioner just to give you a hint. The only other Hunter that's better than her is a guy named Edward who is my other favorite character in the whole series.

Her other series, the Gentry Series, also has a strong female character is who is a Faery Princess of the Unseelie Court. I could go into the whole bit about it, but I'll be honest, if I did this post will be about her instead of what I really want to talk about. Another reason I enjoy her writing is for a more personal reason. I have suspected for a long time now that Laurell Hamiliton is a Wiccan. My suspicions came from the very realistic descriptions she gives in regards to rituals and other such matters in her books. I finally received confirmation recently in her blog. I was thrilled for more reasons than I'm willing to go into.

Anyway, I just recently re-read her book called Bloody Bones which was written a little over ten years ago. I had bought the book again when it was released in hard cover again because those last longer. She had included in it an Afterword which is always neat in my opinion because often writers put their thoughts, explanations and reasons for why characters do something. In reading this I realized that I'm not as nutty as I feared.

In an earlier post I had talked about two problematic characters that simply wouldn't cooperate (for any interested Cyrilla is stilling having problems, but Tim and I worked it out). In it I also often referred to both of them being real and being a pain in the ass on purpose. I had tried to keep it down at a dull roar because I was a bit worried that it would make me seem crazy.

Then tonight I read the Afterword and the first thing I said to my husband was "I'm not alone!" That's right folks, Laurell Hamiton talked not only about Anita, but also about Jean-Claude, Jason and Larry as if they are real people. "Anita would miss him." And various other comments like that. I was thrilled! I'm not crazy!....Or at least if I am then I'm not the only one.

It has gotten me thinking though, why do writers tend to look at their characters as if they are people too? Is it just something we started doing? Did we learn it? Or are really deranged?

Hmm, well, I don't seem to remember reading in any book that I should start considering my characters to be real. I also can't recall when that habit actually began. I suppose that this might fall under the category of things that make you go Hmmm. I just don't know and I would love to hear other opinions on the matter. Why does anyone that writes or even role-plays feel like their character isn't just a character, but a real person?

No comments: