Sunday 1 August 2010

Where's Waldo? Fan Story Style!

All right, I'm pretty sure I mentioned it in my blog, but in case I didn't...here's what Fan Story is.  It's a site where writers like myself can post their stories, scripts, poems...name it they can probably post it.  Yes, even some rant and rave on it.  Usually it's amusing...sometimes it's not.  There are some really, really talented writers on this site and to be honest, it sometimes intimidates me.  Yet, even though it does on occasion they have helped me find the error of my writing ways.

Now, before joining Fan Story I knew that I had grammar issues.  What I mean is that grammar is my weakest point.  Why?  Well that's a funny story actually.  It's the price of being a military brat to a degree.  What usually happened is that I kept missing the initial instruction on grammar each time I moved.  When I was in 5th grade in Florida, they taught the primary rules in 6th.  When I moved to Colorado for 6th grade, they taught it in 5th grade.  The story of my young life when it comes to grammar.  So the primary rules were never actually drilled into my head like it did with others.  That plus all the international traveling I've done is it really a wonder that I have issues?  No, I thought not.

Yet, despite that I thought I had them pretty down pat....until Fan Story.  Now, don't get me wrong, I'm grateful they were able to show me just how much I need help.  But to be honest, I think I prefer ignorant bliss.....but that's a different post I believe.

Anyway, what all these very helpful people do is they go through and find every....single....error and will fill up the review box with each and every one.  Most are sweet, polite, and over all helpful.  Sometimes you come across one person who gives a harsh review because you gave them your honest opinion....but again that's for another post.

While helpful in pointing out how badly my grammar sucks, it doesn't do a good job at teaching me to find my own mistakes so I started a new thing just within the last week or two.  I call it "Where's Waldo Fan Story Style"  I'm basically asking those who are reviewing my work to simply point out where there is a mistake then let me find it.  This way they can still point out to their hearts content how bad my grammar is on a regular day and I'm still learning.  Everyone wins!  Now, hopefully it'll catch on for others as well.

Interested in reading my work?  That's easy to accomplish, simply go here.

No comments: