Friday 14 May 2010

Development of an Idea - Science Fiction

All right, I'm a huge, HUGE fan of science fiction. A love and passion that began with my Father who is an even bigger fan of science fiction than I am....but only because he's been alive longer than I.

One thing I've always wanted to do was write a science fiction story. I want to do this because, a) I love science fiction and b) because it seems like it'd be fun to do. Add c)I have a lot of great ideas for useful technology to the mix and it seems as if it shouldn't fail. Sadly it does because I get caught up in the tiny details. How does xyz item work, why does it work? I want to know, readers probably don't care overly much on the science involved. Oh, sure, they want to know generally that it will work the way it should work. That is makes sense, that it is logical. But whether or not we are taking liberties with the laws of physics, they pretty much give carche blanch. However, I'm one of those people that wants to make it as realistic as possible.

Good for me, bad for story.

It's good for me because I get to learn stuff. Bad for story because I never get to the actual writing of the story.

So what is the solution? Easy! Get someone to help me who can put their foot down and say "It's good enough, let's get on with the writing." Yay! I found someone and she's more than eager to help. Which gives me a new project, something to take my mind off things at home. Yippee, what fun.

The question is, how to really get started. What is the first step. That's, actually, the easy part. You have to decide what you want/need to know/create. For example, Humans in the Galaxy. Makes sense that we'd be around, unless we die out as a race. I hope not, but you never know. Anyway, my friend and I know that we need to have the Human race involved because two of our main characters are half Human.

But the thing is, to make this list we need to decide on the kind of story do we want. So I guess, it's better to say that is our first step. What type of Science Fiction do you want? My friend and I have opted for a science fiction story that is more Firefly and Babylon 5 with a smidge of Star Wars and less Star Trek and Stargate. Should be fun!

I'll keep you up to date on the progress of the development.

No comments: