Monday 3 May 2010

Flirtting with violence

So I think it was last week when Laurell Hamilton's newest book in the Anita Blake series came out. I was good, I only waited a week before I ran to the book store to snatch it up without so much of a bat of my eye. I was even better in the fact that I didn't race home immediately to read it because I had other things that needed to be taken care of. I was bad though that while me and the kids were eating lunch I caved and read the first five pages instead of talking with the kids. They forgave me though because it's like the family knows and understands. Mommy gets a new book and she must devour. All I can say about Flirt is YUM.

I've talked to few others that share my adoration for the Anita Blake series and say that it's gotten to be too much about violence and sex. I can sympathize with them on this. There is a point when there is too much of both......I think. I haven't met my quota yet, but I'm sure I have a line that shouldn't be crossed. When or if I ever find it I'll probably talk about it. Frankly though there is this well spring of violence that lives within all of us I think that needs or should be tapped. I know a few people that seem to lack either and I marvel at that. I also don't understand it. In some ways I'm sorry for them, but they are happy and it works for me.

Anyway, back to the book.

At the end of the book Laurell Hamilton gave a bit of an explanation of where her ideas come from and how they go from an idea to an actual book. As I read through it I realized that I have much more in common with her than I had initially believed. I mean I don't write stories like she does that has monsters and sex and .... no, wait, I do have the violence. But in regards to our approach to writing, judging from this little bit that I read we have similarities. We both start with a scene then it just sits, grows until it demands attention. She and I both tap into this world that we live in that has pictures of what would happen if the situation went bad. Violence is just a natural part of who we are apparently.

Now, most people who know me would be shocked or surprised at that statement. I've been told for years that I'm sweet, kind and gentle. I wouldn't hurt a fly. It's true, I respect nature and life too much to actually do it. That's why my characters do it for me. I see it clearly, visualize it and let it fester until it's time to put it down on paper. I take it all out there, letting that well of anger and violence flow into the words until there is a character and a situation that sums up the fullness of those desires and impulses. It's comforting, it's fun and it's beautiful. It's me.

So while I flirt with violence, I find that it's a healthy expression. Much better than actually doing it. Curiosity allows me to explore the actions with words instead of an actual activity. Good for the human race, better for my soul and fantastic for my children. It is also partly one of the primary reasons that I have recently started down a more spiritual path because I know that I have to both accept and draw out the impulses that lie beneath the surface into something healthy and worthwhile.

I also know I won't be letting my children read my stories until they are probably 18 or older if I can help it.

No comments: