Monday 10 May 2010

Yay Britain!

In light of my recent move into a more spiritual life I have endeavored to expand myself into reading news about Pagans in general. Now some of the stuff I've read is what I call, well, bigotry for the most part. XYZ group doesn't want a Pagan festival in their town or see, Wiccan's kill people too and they are worse because they are Wiccan. Or, a personal favorite, because the Nazis might have been (this is a constant discussion apparently about whether or not the Nazis party was Pagan or Christian. It's a discussion I, myself, have been in as well. The point of fact is that some may have been Pagan while others were Christian. Unless you can time travel and ask, we may never know for certain) then obviously being Pagan is wrong because it inspires horrible acts against humanity like the holocaust.

Another favorite was the whole high school up in arms because a boy wanted to build an altar in shop class and apparently now other kids are afraid to go to school for it. My reaction to these are always, "Grow up" or some variation of it.

Yet, despite all the crap, I do read some good stories and today I read two. These two, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your point of view, come from good ole Britannia. All hail the Queen!

The first story I read was about how Pagan's are starting to come to the forefront. Now, don't mistake me, I wish no ill will on the Christian community of the world. Honest I don't as some of my best friends and even my husband is in fact Christian. However, what I think is good about this particular article that I read is that it's showing that Pagans in general, and perhaps even Wiccans specifically, are starting to be recognized as more than just a fad. Here is the article for anyone interested in reading it: Here

That's the fortunate part from my point of view. The unfortunate, again in my point of view, is that it's not also happening in the US. Yes, in fact currently there is a big hoopla about Wiccan's celebrating in a particular area. All sorts of things are being mentioned and it's, well, a hoopla. I'd call them all hooligans, but that doesn't quite sum it up. It's unfortunate that it still happens, but the realist in me realizes that you just can't escape attitudes like that.

Even 50 years from now when religious tolerance is more than something we talk about to actual fact for over 80% of population, there will still be the 20% who deliberately cut off contact with someone of an opposite religion simply because they can't be bothered to accept that not everyone will believe what they believe.

This leads me to the second article which is what ultimately spurred forth this particular post. Again, here comes Britain with a fantastic example for the world. The police have given weight to the Pagan Police Association. Whoo hoo! Go Britain!

If you're interested in the story you can find it here: Here

Okay, so it's not all peaches and cream and I'm sure there are issues involved that I am just not privy to. Especially considering that I'm not British and I lack that really sexy accent they have (no offense but I'm more moved by the guys accent than the girls. Just who I am, I'm sure you ladies have sexy accents too). But let's really think about this whole 'Britain sets example' idea shall we? Despite what others may feel, think or believe, Britain has been one of the more influential countries in the world, especially in regards to the past. While not all the current countries of today were seeded by the British, a fair amount were. Don't believe me? I give you the two most obvious countries. Australia (with their even sexier accent that sounds similar but not quite the same as the British accent) and America.

Even today they are considered a super power and will probably remain so for a very long time. So it is understandable and completely reasonable to think that if they are showing their support for us Pagans that sooner rather than later, the rest of the world will too. Which will be fantastic because then, perhaps soon, the percentage of the Earth's population who pay homage to more than a single God/dess will be able to answer the question of 'what do you believe' with much more than the answer 'alternative' and instead say "I'm a Wiccan." or "I'm a Druid" without the blank stares.

......or at least one can hope right?

No comments: